Monday, July 24, 2006

Recipes that use wine during the 9 days - ta'aroves yayin

My wife was updating her website yesterday with some milchig recipes for the nine days and noticed that the ingredients list for the French (freedom?) onion soup mix that she received called for 2 cups of red wine. She asked me what I thought of this – is a food which has a ta’aroves of wine permitted during the 9 days? Interestingly, ta’aroves basar gets a lot more attention than ta’aroves ya’yin in poskim – I guess fancy French recipes were not the norm in Europe. Is ta'aroves yayin the same as ta'aroves basar, and if you think not, why? Just for the record, I’m not enough of an onion soup fan to encourage my wife to attempt the recipe posted, and instead, offer you my own tried and true onion soup recipe: mix 1 spoon soup mix into 1 cup boiling water, stir, eat : )

12 comments:

  1. Let us know when you have the answer. Many of my soups have small amounts of cooking wine in them.

    BTW-My husband's soup receipe is the same as yours. Interesting. . . . chances are you don't have to use that receipe often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The answer can be found in the B'eae Hetev 551:29, though the Aruch haShulchan 551:24 disagrees. Since I'm not going to pasken for anyone, those are the mareh mekomos and you cantake it from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:18 PM

    The Divrei Chaim is now giving recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Divrei Chaim is multifaceted; there is something for everyone, from lamdan to onion soup chef : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:45 AM

    NO POST FOR RASHI'S YAHRTZEIT???

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am looking for a good chulent recipe. When will you be posting that? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous12:19 PM

    "I am looking for a good chulent recipe. "

    What makes a good chulent recipe is in the eye (or at least the stomache) of the beholder.

    Chaim, can't you share with us what the Beer Heitev and the AHS say?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Be'er Heitev equates wine with meat, and according to the minhag which prohibits ta'am basar, ta'am yayin is also assur. The basis for the issur is comparing the issur basar v'yayin to hilchos nedarim. The AhS sounds like he allows both, but I need to look back again to be sure. Was wondering if this might depend on the reason for the minhag not to eat wine/meat. If the issur is on the achilas basar per se, then ta'am might be included, but if the whole basis for the issur is simcha, then perhaps only a real fleishig meal gives simcha, but just a bit of meat in a pot of macaroni is still a macaroni meal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous8:40 PM

    Those who want recipes should go to the Homfront page of www.kallahmagazine.com --no cholent. A true cholent is not based on measurments. It has to be made with a little of this and a little of that according to the individual cook. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous1:07 PM

    Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
    »

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous5:15 PM

    I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
    »

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous5:41 AM

    You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it bleecker gmc fayetteville Trip planner to boston wet tshirt contest lemars iowa forest bookcase door

    ReplyDelete