Tuesday, October 24, 2006

conversation with a hippie - "the yalmukah"?

Last night on the subway I was asked by a hippie (beard, long hair in pony tail, T-shirt, baseball cap with slogan pins attached - does that qualify?) what's with all the people he now sees on the subway wearing "the yalmukah".
"They can't be real orthodox like I see on the street in Brooklyn because they don't have the uniform [i.e. black suit and hat]. What's up with a guy wearing a $1400 dollar suit and having a 48 cent bottlecap size thing bobby pinned to his half-bald head?".
B'zeh halashon, almost word for word.
I was too busy laughing in appreciation of the kashe to answer him before my stop.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:44 PM

    I want the answer to what is with the bottlecap size thing bobby pinned to his half-bald head but he may be on to somthing They can't be real orthodox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:22 PM

    I wouldn't call an IWW member a hippie. Perhaps he wasn't really a member. Sounds pretty ignorant, but then again, we've got all kinds in the union.

    B'shalom,
    Jewish IWW member

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jewish IWW member, my apologies (and post edited). It was the whole getup that made this guy look like he just stepped out of a time warp from the late '60s.

    ReplyDelete