Thursday, September 24, 2009

piyus

There is a din to ask mechila before Yom Kipur from people one may have harmed, so in that spirit I hope my reading audience includes mechila of me in their tefilah zakah (or earlier!) We say after every amidah: "Elokei, netzor leshoni mei'ra... Psach libi b'torasecha" -- we ask Hashem to guard our tongue from speaking ill and to open our hearts to Torah. I can't recall where I saw written that the reason these sentiments are placed in the same tefilah is because the former is a precondition to the latter. Perhaps one should recite the same tefilah before blogging. Undoubtedly there is room for my improvement in the tone of posts and comments (sometimes harsh, sarcastic, vitriolic) , the choice of topics, and other areas. All things considered, I hope the gain in posting outweighs the downside, and ask your forbearance for those times it doesn't.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous10:02 AM

    even though it's after yom kippur, i'll ask mechila of you and your wife too for any harm in anonymous comments. We anonymous commenters largely just have to hope you are mochel us! Though perhaps I could track things down, I do hope you grant forgiveness in general to heated commenters.

    ReplyDelete